Colina Wright is coming to take up the role at Derby, from the University of Sunderland Students’ Union. She has a strong background in membership engagement
Introducing the Union’s new CEO
The Union of Students is thrilled to announce the appointment of a brand new CEO.
Colina Wright is coming to take up the role at Derby, from the University of Sunderland Students’ Union. She has a strong background in membership engagement following other experience gained at De Montfort University, Sheffield Hallam, and New College Nottingham. Her experience within both FE and HE Students’ Unions followed on from her own experience of being an Elected Officer at Sheffield Hallam University and her passion for student voice, inclusive practice, and the power of Students’ Union to create real impact and change. She holds a Masters in Business Administration from De Montfort University and has a strong track record in leading teams to deliver strategic goals. She has served as a Trustee for Buckinghamshire New University SU and Wearside Women in Need.
We spoke to Colina, ahead of her starting at Derby in 2022
- Describe yourself in 3 words
- Passionate, empowering ... and tired!
- Favourite sandwich filling
- Halloumi, Quorn ham, rocket, and balsamic vinegar - preferably on a crusty tiger baton.
- Favourite fictional character and why
- Halle Berry's Cat Woman, sadly overly sexualised, but I particularly liked Halle's portrayal as a strong, confident black woman. Cat Woman is a little bit mischievous but with a sense of compassion and an ability to do the right thing. Integrity is a particularly strong value of mine.
- Item you can’t live without
- I'm usually cold so I'll have to say a jumper or cosy, cute slippers.
- What are you most excited about in your new role?
- I’m hoping to continue to make a positive difference in the lives of our students and those they engage with.
Current CEO Vicky Hossack, who is moving on to a position with Atkinson HR added:
After 7½ amazing years, I will be leaving the Union of Students and my role as CEO. It has been my absolute privilege to work alongside a skilled and dedicated team of people who work incredibly hard to make the student experience at Derby the very best it can be.
After recently completing my CIPD Level 7 I am thrilled to be joining Atkinson HR Consulting as their new People and Development Consultant from January. I can’t wait to support a whole range of SU’s and charities with their people journey and to utilise my experience and passion for developing others to reach their potential and creating values-led work environments where people can thrive. I wish Colina all the very best and look forward to seeing where she takes the organisation!