Returning to University: COVID-19 FAQS

Keeping everybody safe whilst at University.

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

Do I need to wear a facemask in lectures/around the University?

We encourage you to continue wearing a facemask whilst on site at university. You should also continue to wash your hands regularly and make use of our sanitising stations on site.

Do I need to test before coming to lectures or attending Freshers events?

To reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission following the movement of students across the country, we would ask you to take a test before you travel back to university. Once you arrive at university, you should take two Lateral Flow tests either at home or at the testing facility on site, then continue to test twice a week throughout September. 

I feel unwell but I think it’s just Freshers Flu – should I do a COVID-19 test?

The main symptoms of COVID-19 are a high temperature, a new and continuous cough and a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. If you develop any of these symptoms you should self-isolate and get a PCR test as soon as possible.

I don’t know if I need to self-isolate – how do I check?

If you have developed any of the main symptoms of COVID-19, see the above answer.

If you have had both of your vaccinations and have been in close contact with somebody who has tested positive for COVID-19, you do not need to self-isolate. Instead, you should take a Lateral Flow test daily for the following ten days.

If you have not had both vaccinations and have been in contact with somebody who has tested positive for COVID-19, you should self-isolate immediately for ten days. For more information, visit the government website. 

I don’t want to miss lectures because I’m self-isolating – what should I do?

Don’t worry! Lectures are recorded and uploaded to Blackboard, often with handy additional resources such as PowerPoint slides and seminar materials which you can access from home.

Where can I get a vaccination from?

If you haven’t had your first dose yet, you can book now at a centre or find your nearest walk-in clinic. If you aren’t registered with a GP, you can still access a vaccine by finding your nearest walk-in clinic. You do not need to bring any ID. This offer is also available to international students studying in England, regardless of nationality or immigration status.  

I’m worried about catching COVID-19 from lectures and social events – what should I do?

We are continuing to operate in a COVID-secure way so you can feel confident when attending. We are asking all students to do a test before travelling to the University of Derby. You can do this by ordering a test kit online or collecting from your local pharmacy.

I’ve been contacted by Test and Trace but I’m fully vaccinated – do I need to do anything?

If you are contacted by Test and Trace, you will be sent a link which takes you to a form to complete. You should do this regardless of your vaccination status and follow the guidance provided by Test and Trace.


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.