Over the last few days the Union has been working alongside the University and the Derbyshire Public Health team to carry out a review of planned Freshers activities scheduled to take place from Monday 21st September at Kedleston Road and in Buxton. As part of this review, all agencies have looked at the detail of our plans to assess their compliance with the new ‘rule of six’ and our overall Covid-19 safety measures.
We are pleased to inform you that following this comprehensive review, the Union is able to proceed with on site events and activities hosted in our purpose-built, outdoor Freshers Village. We have taken all steps necessary to ensure student safety at these events, including:
- Enforcing a clear ‘rule of six’ for all events. Table bookings are capped to 6 people per table, with a 2 metre distance between any other group. Groups cannot mix during the event, with contact details taken on entry to the village to comply with NHS Track and Trace requirements.
- We are launching a new mobile ordering App, Student Orders, allowing you to pre-order food and drinks to your table and also to place orders throughout the event. This will avoid queuing at the bar by having a full table service is in operation throughout our evening events.
- The Village is comprised of a number of marquees which allows us to control ventilation to the space according to the weather. If the sun shines on us this Freshers, the sides of the marquee will be removed to allow full air flow through the event space.
- Hand sanitising stations will be placed throughout the Village, with clear directional signage to ensure social distancing is maintained as you move through the event space.
- For our Freshers Fair and Market trader days, face coverings need to be worn by both stall holders and visitors (unless you are exempt) and control to each marquee will be carefully managed by our Union staff to ensure safe distance is maintained.
Following the review of our programme we have made the decision to cancel the Buxton Freshers Fair event. As this event was due to take place indoors in a communal space, the Union cannot implement the same controls and feel it is in the safety interests of our Buxton students not to proceed. Instead, we shall be delivering smaller pop up stands throughout the week which can be visited when you are on site for teaching and a full programme of virtual events for you to enjoy.
Yesterday we also announced that our Society Give it A Go events would move to online events only, with sports Give It A Go proceeding as planned. These changes are regrettable, but necessary in order to ensure we can keep events within the new government guidelines and to work within the ‘rule of six’.
If you have questions about our Covid-19 secure preparations and would like more information please email us at email@example.com or via our social pages. Please keep checking our social channels for video updates and a walkaround of the Freshers village coming soon!
We are excited to welcome all new students to the University of Derby and look forward to seeing you at the Freshers Village from Monday 21st September.